Victory: Morningstar Farms To Use Fewer Eggs - Compassion Over Killing
Compassion Over Killing (COK) and Vegan Outreach (VO) teamed up with caring people everywhere in urging Morningstar Farms, a Kellogg subsidiary that has been making vegetarian foods for over 25 years, to offer more vegan items by removing eggs from its products.
We’re excited to announce that after receiving thousands of letters from consumers and after discussing this topic with COK and VO, Morningstar Farms is taking a very meaningful step in that direction!
According to company spokeswoman Kathleen Eckler, in 2008 “Kellogg is reducing the amount of eggs we use in our Morningstar products by a minimum of one million eggs. We’re committed to announcing even more new vegan products for our customers.”
By reducing Kellogg’s egg usage by more than a million eggs per year, nearly 4,000 fewer laying hens will suffer in factory farms each year.
Please call Kellogg today to thank the company for its compassionate decision and to let it know that you’re looking forward to seeing more vegan products from Morningstar Farms in the near future: 1-800-962-1413 (press 9).
More than 95% of eggs produced in the U.S. come from hens confined inside barren wire battery cages so restrictive, the birds can barely even move, let alone engage in many of their most natural behaviors including spreading their wings, perching, or walking. Battery-caged hens are typically provided with a meager 67 square inches of space in which to live—that’s less floor space than the size of one sheet of notebook paper. For more information about the horrors of egg factory farms, please visit EggIndustry.com.
Thank you to all of you who joined in our campaign and helped bring about this victory for animals!
Special thanks to the following groups for signing on to the campaign:
- Action for Animals
- Action for Animals Network
- Animal Activists of Alachua
- Animal Place
- Animal Rights Now of Northern Arizona University
- Animals Voice
- Baltimore Animal Rights Coalition
- Body of Animal Rights Campaigners
- Boston Vegetarian Society
- Bostonians Against Animal Cruelty
- Campus Animal Rights Educators (Borough of Manhattan Community College)
- Carolina Animal Action
- Christian Vegetarian Association
- Citizens United for Animals of Milwaukee, WI
- Compassionate Action for Animals
- Compassionate Consumers
- EarthSave Chicago
- East Bay Animal Advocates
- Eugene Veg Education Network
- Farm Animal Welfare Network
- Florida Voices for Animals
- Food Fight!
- Fort Worth Vegetarian Society
- Global Green Foundation
- Green Mountain Animal Defenders
- Herbivore Magazine
- In Defense of Animals
- Indiana Animal Rights and Advocacy
- Making Healthy Choices
- Mercy for Animals
- New Leaf Vegan Society
- Rocky Mountain Animal Defense
- San Francisco Vegetarian Society
- Society of PEACE
- Southeastern Michigan Animal Rights Team
- Speak Out for Species
- Student’s Animal Guardian Alliance
- Students for Education and Animal Liberation (NYU)
- Syracuse Animal Rights Organization
- The Vegetarian Resource Center
- Triangle Vegetarian Society
- Unitarian Universalists for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
- United Poultry Concerns
- Vegetarian Society of Hawaii
- Vegetarian Society of Richmond
- Vegetarian Society of the District of Columbia
- Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary