In the spirit of the season, COK volunteers are showing off their compassion and spreading holiday cheer by giving out free vegan food samples!
Texas is typically known for its cowboy cravings of meaty BBQ and chili, though vegetarian eating is gaining traction. Case in point: Austin’s Lone Star Vegetarian Chili Cook-Off! Our amazing volunteer, Amanda Sullivan, led the COK team in this serious cooking competition, delivering a mouth-watering vegan Pumpkin Chili that incorporated fall’s favorite fruit. Both the crowd and judges loved the hearty stew–people were even taking photos of the recipe! (included at end of blog)
Back in Los Angeles, volunteers Jose Berber Luna, Jeannie Lin, Glenn Saks, Josh Goldstein, Jessica Spain, Joel Alatorre, Ines Familiar, Alan Vidali, and Valeria Flores revealed to Green Festival attendees the painful realities forced upon farmed animals with Pay-Per-View, in which people are paid $1 to watch four minutes of graphic footage from factory farms. Exactly 100 people participated throughout the two-day event, with many donating back the dollar to support our animal protection efforts and committing in a survey to reducing or eliminating their consumption of animal products. See photos.
Volunteers Valeria Flores, Stefani Aguallo, and Venita Graham gathered in front of Whole Foods Market Venice to share with shoppers So Delicious’ seasonal nog, mint chocolate, and pumpkin spice coconut milks, along with our vegan restaurant and recipe guides. Many people commented on the creaminess of the texture, and how they appreciated an egg-free option to counter high cholesterol. The mint chocolate flavor even sold out of the store! See photos.
Pumpkin Chili (serves 6)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) golden hominy, drained
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans pumpkin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, bell pepper, green chiles, hominy and garlic until tender (about 5 min.).
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, pumpkin and vegetable broth; cook 8 more minutes. Season with chili powder,cumin and black pepper. Reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 to 25 minutes.Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Optional: Add textured vegetable protein for thicker, heartier taste.